Greenwich High School

April 2013

"In striving for perfection you need to let go of trying to be perfect." Sandra Marie Adams

Housework by Sandra Marie Adams
Recently I was contacted by Greenwich High School in the states. An honors class were studying treatment of woman through the ages and their teacher wanted to use some of my work as part of the topic.
Here is the feedback I received from the class.








Dear Sandra,
Last Wednesday I taught my students the lesson that included your artwork "Housework".  Your art helped accomplished my goals in a very creative way.  My students loved your art and were very happy to know that you were very kind and communicated with me to give us your perspective on your art.  I decided after the lesson as a homework activity, to direct my students to your website and to find another artwork that was related to our objective.  They did a wonderful job and enjoyed viewing your other work.  They were eager to ask you some questions, so I gathered a few and if you have the time and would like to answer some of them, I will share them with my students.


1. Do you believe that your artwork is strongly related to feminism?
2. How do you feel when you paint?
3. What inspires you to make your paintings?
4. When did you decide to become a painter?
5. What motivated you to start your career?
6. Is the role/rights of women in New Zealand different from other countries?

The following is a statement that my students wrote to you:
"We liked your art very much because your paintings express and can we easily notice the feelings or ideas that you have about a specific issue.  Many of your artwork reflects ideals about feminism and the events of that particular time.  Your artwork is very inspiring because it can show the world the facts, opinions in favor or against, depending on the situation.  Thank you very much for taking your time and communicating with us."
Fondly,
Spanish 5 Honor Native class- Greenwich High School
Once again, I can't thank you enough for your help.
Sincerely,
Silvana

Here is my response

1 I haven't intentionally set out to be a feminist or paint in that way. I just have very strong views on the mistreatment of woman (or anyone). I certainly believe that men and woman are equal and should be treated as such.  I do have a very strong belief that the balance between masculine and feminine is out of balance and has been for a very long time and this comes through in my work especially my religious paintings. I feel very strongly that women have been very mistreated and misrepresented  throughout history. In the bible  one such example is Mary Magdalene. Her story strongly represents to me what corruption, power and mistreatment of women can do. MM is a very strong symbol of feminism in my work.  So in answer to the question my work is strongly related to feminism and the rights of women.

Mary Marie by Sandra Marie Adams
2 When I paint I mostly feel very happy. For me it is as close as I get to peace. When everything is flowing and the painting is working the way I want I am in another world. If I don't paint for a while I get crabby and feel like there is something missing. These days because I don't have to think about it too much I usually paint  listening to my I pod.
Angel of Ying Yang by Sandra Marie Adams
3 All kinds of things inspire me.  My work is very autobiographical and in a lot of ways  is a journal of my life. My art is out would manifestation of what is going on in my head.  More and more I am wanting to make statements about the world as I see it.  My best work always seems to come as an image/vision that won't leave me until I paint it. Sometimes over the years I have fallen into the trap of painting to please the market in order to survive/eat. However these days I paint what pleases me. I have found that the paintings that move me at some stage will move someone else. It doesn't always happen when I want sometimes its years later. As an artist I'm not so interested in painting pretty pictures that match decor. I want my art to move people and produce a reaction good or bad. I always want to be original and not a bad copy of a former artist.
4. I decided to become an artist in my mid thirties. I previously had other careers that we not at all related to art.
5 My reason for becoming an artist is an odd one. I have no training however  there are some artists in my family. I noticed Art as a child  and admired it but there was never any desire to be an artist. In fact in art class at school I would admire people who could draw and would consider myself a fair to bad drawer. I have found ways around that over the years. My art career began with a series of unexplained spiritual visions/angelic encounters. It was something that I couldn't really talk to anyone about without them thinking I was a nutcase. I didn't know what
 to do with it. One day I picked up a paint brush and painted what had been going on. My first painting was VERY BAD. But I just kept going. I didn't want formal training as I had had that in drama and wanted to come up with my own way, however long it took. I used to hear a voice in my head  that would tell me how to paint things what colors to use etc which helped. Alot of my early work is of angels because of what was going on at the time.  I think it was my destiny to be an artist. A voice used to say to me Painting will set you free and it has. I was alot happier person once I found my reason for being here. However any career in the arts is a long hard struggle. Would I trade the struggle for a desk job, Never.

Dance of Angels by Sandra Marie Adams
6 NZ was the first country in the world to give woman the vote  and we have had a female prime minister. So in relation to other countries we are not doing to badly. However there is still not equal pay for woman. I think it is still alot tougher to get to the top if you are a woman. We have a very big domestic violence problem and although there is alot of support for woman it is still a  big problem. Until men EVERYWHERE get the message that is is not ok to treat a woman badly because she is a woman we will not be equal.  Being a mother has no value. You are expected to go back to work ASAP after having a baby and put your child in care. Although many women choose to have careers I personally think being a  stay home Mother/Father should be a valued career choice. I think our society suffers because too many children are not spending their early years with a parent.


How to find my art and follow me


If you ever make it to Waiheke Island come pay me a visit.

Meanwhile my art is easily found on the web  Originals and prints are available



Become a fan on Facebook and get updates

Sandra Marie Adams Facebook page

Follow by blog for more regular updates.

Enjoy my art my hope is always to inspire and would love to hear what you think.

Sandra Marie Adams